Facing the Caribbean Sea, around a spacious, peaceful bay, French émigrés from Bordeaux and Louisiana founded April 22, 1819 the colony of Fernandina de Jagua. In 1830, exalted to town, he bartered his name to Cienfuegos, in honor of the Governor General of Cuba, Don José Cienfuegos. Fifty years later he was proclaimed a city and won for its beauty the epithet of “La Perla del Sur”. Towards the end of the nineteenth century the prosperous city had become the fourth largest in the country.
Considered by its beauty Cuban architectural jewel of the nineteenth century, Cienfuegos stands out for the perfect layout of its streets, refinement and good taste of the buildings in the historic center, declared a National Monument. It brings together several of the most prominent buildings, the House of the Founder, the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, the Teatro Tomas Terry and Ferrer Palace and the José Martí Park, where the only Arc of Triumph in Cuba rises.
But the city has much more to show, the Paseo del Prado, the Palacio de Valle, the Naval and Historical Provincial Museum and Reina Cemetery. Distant from downtown Fortress Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Jagua, Tomás Acea Cemetery and the Botanical Garden appear. In addition to this set of cultural and historical values, around Cienfuegos is the visitor appropriate scenarios for diving, water sports, nature tourism and thermal baths.